Monday, March 21, 2011

Fantasy Baseball - Why We Really Follow the Game

I wish it didn't have to come to this, but I have to say something about how the Mets finally got rid of their mess - Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez. In the fewest words possible - overpaid headcases. I'm sure Gio is a bit happier than I am that Citi Field has been purged of its plagues. That said, I heard rumors of the Yankees picking up the latter lefty. It remains to be seen if we get the good, bad, or most likely bipolar Ollie. As long as we don't have to cough up the $12MM remaining on his contract, it's not a bad low-risk high-return acquisition...

Who am I kidding? He'd be less useful than this jerk, with or without the droopy moustache:


Anyways, apologies for not posting as often as we'd like to. I would have crafted a well thought-out BS excuse, but considering this is my first blog, I have to admit that brainstorming the topics is much easier than putting them into prose.

In the meantime, Gio and I had an epic fantasy baseball draft with some high school friends in Atlantic City - below is a spreadsheet of the results (click on the image to view full size). The offensive stats we use are: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, batting AVG, and OPS. For pitching, we determine performance by: Wins, SVs, Ks, HLDs, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, and Quality Starts. These stats have been tweaked over the years, but I feel like they cover the wide spectrum of ballplayers. We also retain 5 players from the previous season which determine some draft pick compensations based on their average round selection.



Despite losing cash in non-baseball activites, I feel like I walked away with a solid draft (in blue). The hitting could use a little work, a bit on the young unproven side, but I'm proud of my fireball-hurling rotation; they should rack up the strikeouts, wins, and quality starts. Haven't picked your team yet? You're more than welcome to get some ideas from our table. Happy drafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment